A press release from the Town of Mansfield:
Lower than average temperatures are anticipated in our area over the next few days. The Town of Mansfield will open the Mansfield Community Center and Mansfield Public Library as Warming Centers during regular hours of operation for individuals who do not have adequate heat.
· Mansfield Public Library: Friday & Saturday 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.; Closed Sunday.
· Mansfield Community Center: Friday 9:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.; Saturday 5:30 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.; Sunday 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Residents are asked to check on their elderly neighbors or individuals who are homebound who may be especially susceptible to the cold. Parents should also ensure that children are properly dressed when outside, especially when they are waiting for the school bus. Please follow these cold weather safety tips:
· Wear several layers of not too tight or too bulky clothing. Always wear a hat and gloves.
· Consume warm and easily digestible food and beverages with higher calories, like warm milk, soup, noodles and rice.
· Remain indoors or in places with sunlight. Continue with usual daily activities, but do more exercise to generate heat, improve blood circulation and maintain flexibility of joints.
· Any type of heater (except electric) should be vented.
· Do not use a gas or electric oven or surface units for heating.
· Do not burn outdoor barbecue materials (such as charcoal briquettes) inside – even in a fireplace.
· Do not use bottled gas in natural gas appliances unless appliances have been converted for that use.
· Make sure you have working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
Those needing assistance should contact the Department of Human Services at 860-429-3315. Information about the location of regional shelters and other services is available by dialing 211 and emergency assistance is available by calling 911.