1. Today will be partly sunny with a chance of showers and a high near 74, according to reports from the National Weather Service.
2. The is offering a new from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. For details, you may call 860-429-0262.
3. Each year on Sept. 21, Alzheimer associations across the globe unite to recognize World Alzheimer's Day by raising awareness through various events to bring attention to people suffering from dementia, as well as their families and loved ones. According to Alzheimer's Disease International, there are currently more than 35 million people living with dementia worldwide, and Alzheimer's Disease is the only cause of death in the American top 10 which does not have a way to prevent, cure or slow its progression. To read about this year's theme, "Faces of Dementia," visit Alzheimer's Disease International.
4. Right here in our own state, the Connecticut Chapter of the Alzheimer's Association stands as the primary source of information and support for residents, offering 24-hour-a-day Helpline Support, Family Training Seminars, Care Consultation, Safe Return Training, Support Groups and Educational Programs. Major fundraising events also benefit the care, support and research efforts of the Alzheimer's Association. takes place in Enfield on Oct. 1. In addition to the walk, galas, comedy nights, workplace giving events, golf outings and other fundraisers benefit the cause.
Below is a list of upcoming Connecticut Chapter events:
- 4th Annual Pick-a-Purse, featuring Scott Haney as the emcee. Add to your handbag collection and support a great cause. Bid on new and gently loved handbags from 4:30 - 6 p.m. Takes place on Thursday, Sept. 22 at Atria Larson Place, 1450 Whitney Ave., Hamden. Contact Sharon Albone at email@example.com or 203-248-8880 with questions.
- Vino and a Show is an evening of fun and laughter at the Mandell Jewish Community Center. Wine, appetizers, a tea cup raffle and a performance by the comedic hypnotist Dan LaRosa. Takes place on Thursday, Sept. 22 from 7 to 10 p.m. at 335 Bloomfield Ave., West Hartford.Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 860-882-0802 for more information.
- Walk to End Alzheimer's Hartford is where people can take part in an event to recognize the more than 5 million Americans living with Alzheimer's, and nearly 11 million more serving as caregivers. This event happens on Oct. 2 from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. at Bushnell Park, 88 Trinity St., Hartford. For more information, contact email@example.com or visit www.alz.org/ct.
- Be sure to visit the Connecticut Chapter Calendar online for other important dates and ways you can help.
5. For a simple way to raise awareness, the Alzheimer's Association is asking all Facebook members to wear purple on Sept. 21, then turn their Facebook page purple by changing your profile picture to their END ALZ icon. You can find the icon on Facebook at this link.