Mansfield residents can receive free assistance preparing basic federal and state income tax returns thanks to the AARP Foundation.
The AARP is offering its services at the to all middle- and low-income taxpayers. Special attention will be given to those 60 and older.
Those wishing to make an appointment or receive more information may call 860-429-0262 now through April 17.
The AARP provides the following advice for those using the service:
If married, both spouses should be present during an income tax counseling session. Taxpayers must have available all information and documents that have been received that apply to their 2011 income taxes including:
- Proof of identity (picture or other documentation).
- All income statements that apply to the taxpayers.
- Social Security number (Social Security card or Benefit Statement-Form SSA-1099) for taxpayer and all dependents.
- Copy of last year’s federal and state tax returns.
- Personal check, if available, if direct depositing tax refund, with bank checking account & routing numbers.
To learn more, visit www.aarp.org/taxaide.