An oven malfunction in the ’s kitchen was cause for concern Tuesday morning after officials discovered the appliance’s broken switch contained mercury, Principal Jeffrey Cryan said in an e-mail to parents Tuesday.
Ten adults who may have had exposure to the material were examined by EMTs and personnel from the Department of Environmental Protection and cleared to return to work, Cryan said.
provided the middle school students with lunches for the classroom free of charge, and students were able to resume their regular class schedule by 1:20 p.m. Tuesday, Cryan said.
Officials from the are also supervising the clean-up of the kitchen, which Cryan said was contained to a single oven and should be completed by the beginning of the school day Wednesday.
Cryan encouraged parents with further concerns to contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.